INFORMATION FOR GOLDWATER SCHOLARS
Duration of Awards
Depending upon the availability of funds, it is the intent of the Goldwater Foundation to support junior-level scholarships for a maximum of two academic years (4 semesters) and senior-level scholarship for a maximum of one academic year (2 semesters). Renewal for junior-level Scholars will be in accordance with the regulations established by the Foundation’s Board of Trustees and will be subject to an annual review by an authorized official of the institution that certifies:
• The Scholar is a full-time student and is taking a course of study, training, or other educational activities to prepare for a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
• The Scholar is not engaged in gainful employment that interferes with the scholar’s studies.
• The Scholar is in good academic standing.
Upon application to the Foundation, a Scholar may seek postponement of his or her award for health reasons or other mitigating circumstances.
Important Dates for Scholarship Recipients
• Submission of Award Acceptance Form (AAF): 2nd Friday in April
• Submission of Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer Form (DD/EFT): Last Friday in May
• Submission of Payment Request Form (PRF): 1st Friday in September (by mid-July preferred for payout in late July)
Payment of Awards
A Goldwater Scholar is eligible for funding at the start of the Fall of his or her award year. To receive a scholarship payment, each Goldwater Scholar must submit the three forms found below.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO STUDENTS AND FINANCIAL AID OFFICERS: Prior to filling out a form, save the form to your computer and THEN complete the form that is saved to your computer. If you fill out the form first and then then save it to your computer, you will lose the information you entered on the form!
• AWARD ACCEPTANCE FORM (AAF): This form indicates your acceptance the Goldwater award and the conditions associated with the award. Activation of this link will take you to your on-line Goldwater account. Please log into your Goldwater account and then complete the form.
• DIRECT DEPOSIT/ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER FORM (DD/EFT): The Foundation is required to make all payments by electronic funds transfer. Scholarship funds can only be deposited into the checking or savings account of a Goldwater awardee. The Treasury Department will not make payments to investment accounts or to an account not bearing your name. Providing your name is on the account, a joint checking or savings account is allowed. Unless your name is on the account, do not use the bank account of a parent(s) or a significant other. Custodial accounts are acceptable if you are the primary account holder.
Complete all sections on Direct Deposit/EFT Form (DD/EFT E&CF). Your name must match the name listed on your Social Security card, otherwise the U.S. Treasury will not process your payment! For the account you are using, scan a voided check for the account to a PDF file.
Transmit both your electronically signed DD/EFT form and the PDF of your scanned VOIDED check as email attachments to Ms. Lucy Decher at firstname.lastname@example.org . Use the free email encryption service SENDINC to email us your materials https://www.sendinc.com. As it is generally not encrypted, regular email should not be used to send these materials!
The deadline for receipt of the DD/EFT form is the last Friday in May. Failure to meet this deadline will result in a forfeiture of the funds associated with your scholarship.
• PAYMENT REQUEST FORM (PRF):The foundation will determine the amount of your scholarship based on your college expenses and educational support (scholarships, grants, etc.) Expenses covered by the scholarship include: tuition, fees, books ($800 is allocated to all students), and room and board.
Payments from the Goldwater Foundation supplement, but do not duplicate, benefits from other sources. In other words, the financial benefits from all sources combined may not exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books, and room and board for an academic year at your institution. Should a Goldwater Scholar’s academic or financial status change during an academic year, the Scholar must notify the Goldwater Foundation promptly of these changes.
Scholars planning on studying abroad or participating in a program at another institution must have their proposed plan approved by the Foundation in advance for funding eligibility.
Do not submit your PRF until the cost-of-attendance has been set by your institution for the upcoming academic year. For most institutions, this is typically early June. Scholars are strongly encouraged to submit their PRFs by mid-July. For those who do, scholarship payments should be expected around the end of July. The deadline for receipt of the PRF is the first Friday in September. Failure to meet this deadline will result in a forfeiture of the funds associated with your scholarship. For students who receive a Goldwater scholarship in their sophomore year of college, the Payment Request Form must be submitted prior to the beginning for both years of the award. The Foundation does not send a reminder.
Scholars should submit the PRF form to their Financial Aid Officer (FAO) as an email attachment. The Foundation encourages the use of an encrypted email service when sending this email (https://www.sendinc.com). The FAO should send the completed PRF form as an email attachment to either the student or to Ms. Lucy Decher at email@example.com. Again, the Foundation encourages the use of an encrypted email service https://www.sendinc.com.
Scholars may opt to study abroad during an academic term, but their Goldwater funding will be based on their U.S. institution’s educational expenses. Scholars must consult with the Foundation prior to signing up for an overseas program, as some costs associated with being overseas cannot be covered.
Students who wish to study abroad during the summer may request that Goldwater funds be used for this purpose. The student must submit a request to the Foundation that outlines the proposed course of study, credits granted, all other awards that would apply to the summer term, etc. Only standard expenses covered by the Goldwater award are considered. Travel and related expenses (visas, shots, etc) are NOT covered. The maximum allowance for eligible expenses is 1/3 of award or $2500. Requests are reviewed and granted on a case-by-case basis. Students interested in studying abroad need to contact the Foundation office to discuss funding well in advance of the study abroad experience.
Annual Report Instructions
All Goldwater Scholars are required to submit four annual reports. However, the Foundation has a continuing interest in your progress and must maintain a current address on file to reach you, if necessary. Please continue to update your address with us as you advance in your chosen career.
For those scholars filing reports:
• The first report is due the year after you graduate, not the same year you graduate.
• You may send an additional report upon graduation if you choose.
• The year you were selected must be put on all correspondence.
• Highlight any additional awards or honors you receive.
Annual reports and correspondence may be submitted by fax, mail, or e-mail:
Lucy Decher, Executive Administrator
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation
2121 Eisenhower Ave., Suite 402
Alexandria, VA 22314
In the upper right corner of your Annual Report, please provide the following information in the order listed:
• Full name (maiden name in parenthesis, if applicable)
• Year selected as scholar
• Current address
• Current phone number)
• Current e-mail address
• School you were attending at the time of selection
• The remainder of the report may be in letter format
Report Format Example:
Full Name (Maiden name if different)
Year Selected as Scholar
Address and Zip Code
School Attending When Selected
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and
Excellence in Education Foundation
2121 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite 402
Alexandria, VA 22314-4688
Dear Ms. Decher:
(Insert your report information here.)…
Frequently Ask Questions (by Scholarship recipients):
1. I won a Goldwater Scholarship and did not use all the funds from my junior year. Can these funds be transferred to a subsequent term?
No. Scholarship monies not used during one academic year are not transferable to a succeeding term.