Important Changes in 2021 Goldwater Competition:
The Goldwater Scholarship Foundation is pleased to announce that as a result of a partnership with the Department of Defense National Defense Education Programs, the Foundation will support approximately 450 scholars in 2021.
- A permanent resident nominated for a 2021 Goldwater scholarship will not have to submit a letter stating that it is their intent to become a U.S. citizen. As in the past, a permanent resident must submit a photocopy of their Permanent Resident Card, also known as the Green Card.
- Because of COVID-19, some students may not be enrolled full-time during the 2020-2021 academic year. Schools may nominate these students as part of the 2021 Goldwater competition. For the purposes of the 2021 review, the assumption will be made that all students will be enrolled full-time during the 2021-2022 academic year.
- The Foundation has added a new student question to the online application that asks how COVID-19 pandemic affected the student’s academic, research, and career plans.
- For the 2021 Goldwater competition, CRs are required to complete the narrative statement in the Campus Rep Form. In addition to comments a CR may wish to make about an applicant or the institution’s Goldwater selection progress, we ask that CRs tell us how COVID-19 affected the institution, particularly as it pertains to a Goldwater nominee. Of considerable interest to the Goldwater program is the effect of COVID-19 on student courses and on availability of undergraduate research opportunities. The number of characters available to write the CR statement has been increased from 2,000 to 3,000 (including spaces).
2020 Goldwater Competition Changes Continued in 2021
- Nomination materials will be reviewed by discipline.
- Four-year schools that nominate a “Transfer Student” can nominate a “5th” student.
- Goldwater’s “last dollar in” policy will be observed (i.e., an institution will not be able to reduce a student’s institutionally controlled scholarship funding after the student receives a Goldwater award).
- The Foundation will no longer reduce a student’s Goldwater award if the student subsequently receives additional scholarship support during the year the Goldwater scholarship was funded.
CR Dashboard Nomination Process
- All students are nominated at the same time.